Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Outcome. My Twitter draft. The good..the bad..and the ugly?

Having just completed my first Twitter draft, I have to say that the quality of my fellow drafters was excellent. There were many, savvy picks made. There's no doubt in my mind that an actual league with these guys would be a real challenge.

Here is how my roster ended up.

1.03 - Maurice Jones-Drew RB
2.10 - Randy Moss WR
3.03 - Reggie Wayne WR
4.10 - Aaron Rodgers QB
5.03 - Knowshon Moreno RB
6.10 - Reggie Bush RB
7.03 - Eddie Royal WR
8.10 - John Carlson TE
9.03 - Percy Harvin WR
10.10 - Derrick Mason WR
11.03 - Chester Taylor RB
12.10 - Chicago DST
13.03 - Joe Flacco QB
14.10 - David Akers K
15.03 - Joey Galloway WR
16.10 - Brent Celek TE

QB's - Going into this draft I was really wanting one of my top-5 QB's. I was lucky to get one in Rodgers. It's possible I could have waited till pick 5.03, but the 2 owners after me had yet to draft a QB...so I thought it best to take Rodgers in rd 4 and be sure. Rodgers had a fine first season as GB's QB and I see him only getting better. Joe Flacco is useful in a bye-week guy. He won't give fantasy owners big numbers...but he won't embarrass either.

RB's - After Maurice Jones-Drew, this might be the weakest part of my roster. If Moreno takes the starting job in Denver...if Reggie Bush is 100%...and if Chester Taylor continues to be productive along with Adrian Peterson, I'll be in great shape. If those guys fail me, I'll be hurting at this position. Also, looking back, I probably should have taken a 5th RB.

WR's - Without question, the strength of this team. After picking MJD 13 of the next 18 picks were RB's. I decided it would be wiser to get a couple of top-tier WR's as opposed to a 3rd-tier RB. Getting Moss and Wayne in a league where 3 WR's are required in the starting lineup gives me a potent 1-2 punch. I really like the rest of the WR's in the group. An rising star in Royal, 2 proven veterans in Mason and Galloway, and possibly a breakthrough rookie in Percy Harvin.

TE's - I felt very happy to get 2 solid but undervalued TE's in Carlson and Celek. Carlson had #'s that were as good, if not better, than Chicago TE Greg Olsen...who is thought of as a top 5-7 TE. Celek played so well last year the Eagles didn't pursue long-time Eagle TE L.J. Smith.

K's - I usually wait until round 13 or later to pick a kicker. I have a list of 2-3 guys I feel that are worth drafting in rds 13 or 14. If I don't get a chance at one of those guys, then I'll just wait till the last round or two to pick a kicker. I almost never draft 2 kickers. I just don't see the point in wasting a roster space on a reserve kicker when I could get another RB or WR. I was able to get Akers, a kicker who always seems to get it done and someone that can hit the longer FG's.

DST - Just change the work kicker from above and put in defense. In this mock I was able to get the Bear defense. They're not as dominant as they once were, but I always have luck with them.

All-in-all, I was extremely satisfied with this draft. I firmly believe that this team has championship possibilities written all over it.

3 comments:

  1. I must say you're definitely off to a good start. Until it got to your pick in the second round I had hopes I would be able to snag Moss or Andre Johnson but you and Cal Spears snagged them right in front of me.

    I like the pick of Moreno too, I think you got excellent value with him as your #2 RB.

    Looking forward to drafting/playing/blogging/discussing more with you in the upcoming weeks. To me this whole experience is a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, looking great as usual...

    Id love to get into to the next twittermock...

    Regards,
    REDRUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome draft, Mark. I think you have the best team. I learned a lot from watching you draft.

    ReplyDelete